Česky English

Fulltextové vyhledávání

Welcome to the official website of the town of Komňa!


The town of Komňa is located in the district of Uherské Hradiště in Moravia, 6 kilometers from the town of Bojkovice, along the road connecting the city of Brno with the Slovakian border. The surrounding landscape is hilly with elevations ranging from 400-800 meters above sea level.
 Geographically, the town of Komňa is located in the central part of the White Carpathians Mountain Range. The town has one distinctive geological feature – the Bučník Quarry, which contains unusual and rare minerals. Otherwise, the quarry is used for the mining of andesite for use as a building stone. The local forests are the most significant part of the original, as well as the cultivated, flora. 


The first written record of the existence of the town of Komňa dates back to the year 1261. It can be assumed that the town was established sometime after the middle of the 13th century in relation to what was the nearby fortified settlement of Hrádek, which had been strategically located at an elevation of 521 meters. A place with this local name is located less than a kilometer from the center of the town in a western direction. In terms of its siting, the Hrádek settlement represented a convenient strategic location, which could perfectly control the entire Komenské Valley, leading towards the town of Bojkovice. It is also likely that through the town was a trail connecting to the Starohrozenský Mountain Pass.

Archeological findings from 1986 have supported the fact that a stone castle had been built near the town of Komňa as early as the mid-13th century. The castle was destroyed in the early 15th century. In historical records, the structure is referenced under the name Zuvačov.
 From the 16th century, Komňa played an important role as a township that was part of the lands belonging to the Světlov Chateau in Bojkovice. The town had a privileged status – in particular during the 16th century when Jan Segeš, the grandfather of Jan Amos Komenský, served as the local bailiff.

The town's administrative changes paralleled those taking place with the rest of the Světlov estate. It was able to survive through various natural disasters, military hostilities, pillaging and arson. Under a law passed in 1848, mandatory labor and other duties of vassals were finally abolished. Under a new administrative ordering introduced in 1850, the town of Komňa became a part of the district of Uherský Brod. Based on a municipal authority act passed in 1849, the local town council was appointed as the body in charge of municipal affairs, the management of town property, local law enforcement and other tasks. The town gained independent status in 1980 when it became a municipal district of the larger town of Bojkovice for ten years. In 1989, the town made an effort to gain full administrative independence and this took place effective January 1, 1991. The town currently has 560 inhabitants.

The current village is a good reflection of its many centuries of existence – in particular of the period from the end of the 16th to the early part of the 17th century, when it became widely known throughout Czech lands through its association with Jan Amos Komenský, whose last name is permanently tied in with that of the town.

One of the most significant events in the history of the town took place in 1992 when Komňa celebrated the 400th anniversary of the birth of Jan Amos Komenský. On this important occasion, a permanent memorial to Komenský was put together in Komňa in what was formerly a granary, which dated back to 1774. The memorial houses a permanent exhibit on the history of the village and on the life of J. A. Komenský. The town's visitors included the Czech President, Václav Havel, and Ms. Gerta Kalliková – Figulusová, the last living member of the Komenský family. In 1950, local residents and Americans interested in the town took up a collection, which was used to pay for the erection of a Jan Amos Komenský monument, designed by the sculptor Julius Pelikán.
 The dominant feature of the town is the Church of St. James, which was complete in 1846. There are also examples of early folk architecture, which have been preserved. The town still retains its folk traditions with the most famous of these being the local carnival. There are also a number of other historical customs, which the locals are trying to preserve such as those that take place during Easter. Other traditions are gradually being revived.
 The areas surrounding the village offer visitors a number of wonderful hiking trails with views of the Komenské Valley. "Modrá Voda", a popular local camp site, is known for its unusual natural rock formation. Hrádek is another local site, which contains the ruins of the Zuvačov Castle, which can recall for visitors the area's ancient history. Those interested in geology and minerals will enjoy a visit to the Bučník Quarry. In terms of recreational possibilities, the town has a water reservoir, which is located in a beautiful natural setting on the outskirts of the village and which is perfect for seasonal swimming. The area located towards the east, near the Nový Dvůr crossroads, is a nature reserve containing an old quarry. One very interesting tourist drive, which is worth exploring by those visiting the area, runs south from the village where, as the road moves up the hill, it offers wonderful scenic views of the surrounding countryside. It is also the location of the area's oldest vacation home community and located nearby is the more recent Kopánky Recreation Center.  Mikulčin Peak (elevation 799 meters) offers scenic views stretching across the Slovakian border. The surrounding areas are popular with ski enthusiasts in the winter, when skiing is possible on the local Lopata and Myšačka ski runs, in addition to other areas.

Those visiting Komňa can do so by taking the train to Bojkovice or by taking a bus which follows the route running from Uherský Brod to the Slovakian border.

All visitors are welcome and we look forward to seeing you during your visit to Komňa.