The history of the parish church of St. James dates back to the middle of the 15th century when the church was known to have been associated with the local cemetery. According to the text written on the main cross of the cemetery, the original church was torn down in 1868 due to its poor condition. The presence of the church is hinted at in an old song "The Tower of Komňa", which was part of the collection of documents maintained by a local historian, Mr. Sušil.
" Ta komenská veža pěkně malovaná
tam sú má mamněnka pod ňú pochovaná.
Tam sú oni tam sú nedaleko dveří
na nich jim vyrostl rozmarýn zelený..."
The current Empire-style church building dates from 1842 – 1846 and the new church was dedicated on October 18, 1846. The Church of Saint James the Great has a single aisle with a rectangular apse and an oblong sacristy, which is located on the north side of the chancel.
There are historical references to the parish dating back to 1448. In the 16th century, the parish was closed and the town became part of the nearby Bojkovice. In 1779, a local parish of the church was reestablished in the town and later on, in 1784, the town received its own curate. Originally, the church's tower had three bells, but during World War I, the two smaller bells were removed and confiscated for war material. In 1926 the local parish and the local residents were able to acquire new bells for the church
However, during World War II, the church once again lost its two larger bells. The church was left with the smallest of its bells – Maria – which weighs 110 kilograms and was used in Komňa until 1996. In that year, the small bell was joined by a larger one – St. James – weighing 185 kilograms. The clock on the tower has been reliably keeping time since 1905. The church underwent repairs in 1930, 1946 and most recently in 1982. Both the church building and the altar have been designated as historical landmarks. One more interesting point of interest about the church is the large colony of bats that have settled into the church tower. Naturalists decided to include this bat nesting site in the European network of protected natural sites – NATURA.